Gin Penne Pasta
Quick and easy to make, this recipe is a nice variation of traditional vodka sauce with gin. Gin has a lot of herbal notes that makes for a fantastic pasta sauce!
400g Penne pasta, roughly
1/2 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
60ml olive oil
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 tin diced tomatoes
1 tablespoon sugar
Parmesan cheese, grated
Fresh basil, diced
Salt and pepper
1. In a medium pot, add olive oil, onions, garlic, and red pepper flakes and begin cooking over medium heat. Cook for 5 minutes until onions are soft and fragrant. Be careful not to brown the onions and garlic. You just want them soft.
2. Add in tinned tomatoes and cook for a few minutes.
3. Remove sauce from heat and blend with a stick blender, or normal blender until sauce is fairly smooth.
4. Add gin and sugar to sauce and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 20 minutes. You’ll know when it’s ready because it won’t smell like strong alcohol.
5. Stir in cream, Parmesan cheese, and basil and season with salt and pepper. Turn heat right down to a very gentle simmer, just to keep warm.
6. Cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain pasta well and add directly to sauce. Stir together.
7. Serve garnished with Parmesan cheese and fresh basil.